Go to main content


Artificial Intelligence in Journalism: "Prompt Book" – a Constructive AI Toolkit for Journalists

The Bonn Institute, in collaboration with its project partners, is developing guidelines for the responsible and constructive use of generative AI in journalism. We will provide the results, research tips, and tools for editorial everyday life here.

Illustration eines Teleskops auf einem Stativ

How can we handle generative Artificial Intelligence (AI) responsibly in journalism? How can AI support the editorial practice in promoting solution-oriented reporting, diverse perspectives, and constructive dialogue? These questions are at the center of the project "Prompt Book," funded by the State Media Authority of North Rhine-Westphalia.

In the coming months, the Bonn Institute will gather knowledge and collaborate with a group of students from the Hochschule für Medien, Kommunikation und Wirtschaft (HMKW), Deutsche Welle, RTL, and the Constructive Institute from Denmark to develop constructive tools for journalists. The goal is to use AI in journalism in a way that provides added value for individuals, media, and democracy.

The Current Situation:

A recent industry study by WAN-IFRA and Schickler reveals that while 49 percent of surveyed media professionals already use tools like ChatGPT, the remaining 51 percent are cautious. The study also shows that 70 percent of respondents consider generative AI tools helpful in the short term, but only 20 percent of surveyed newsrooms have established clear AI guidelines.

According to the study, this hesitancy is due to many questions and concerns about AI, highlighting an urgent need for guidance and support. The Bonn Institute aims to fill this gap with the Prompt Book project.

Key Components of the Prompt Book Project:

  • Collecting concrete guidelines and tips for journalists.
  • Ensuring sustainable knowledge transfer through a modular workshop series for media professionals.
  • Consolidating information about the constructive potential of generative AI.

We will provide the results, research tips, and tools for editorial everyday life here.

Our Project Partners:

The Bonn Institute is implementing the "Prompt Book" project in collaboration with four partner organizations:

  • Hochschule für Medien, Kommunikation und Wirtschaft (HMKW)
  • Deutsche Welle
  • RTL
  • Constructive Institute, Denmark

The project supports effective knowledge transfer in North Rhine-Westphalia, strengthens journalism and the media location, and empowers editorial teams and journalists to successfully overcome the challenges of digital transformation.

Project Team:

  • Peter Lindner (Head of Projects and Research at the Bonn Institute)
  • Claudia Isabel Rittel (Project and Research Consultant at the Bonn Institute)
  • Dr. Ranty Islam (Professor of Digital Journalism at HMKW Hochschule für Medien, Kommunikation und Wirtschaft)

Stay informed...

Knowledge transfer, debates, events – our b° newsletter shows you what constructive journalism can do for the industry and society. Stay informed by subscribing to our newsletter.

Sign up